Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mini Cakes and Craft Day

These past few weeks I got to go home to Maryland and chill with my family over Christmas break.  I got a lot of really fun cake decorating things and for once I had time to try them all out.  One of the things I got was a kit to make gum paste and fondant flowers.  I have to admit, I was really excited to try it out and the fondant flowers did not turn out quite like I thought they would, but some did turn out cute.



One day we decided to have a craft day.  It was SUPER girly and I wanted to make some little mini cakes.  I used the little flowers I made to decorate them.  

I started with some boxed cake baked in sheet pans.  (I did one mix of vanilla and one of chocolate.)  This way the cake turns out about an inch thick.  I used some little circular cookie cutters to cut out layers.  I put one layer of chocolate and one of vanilla and in between I put chocolate mousse.  Then I covered them will some buttercream frosting and then will marshmallow fondant.  I did some piping around the bottoms and attached the little flowers on the tops.  They turned out pretty good and tasted REALLY good.  I would have to say that it was probably more work than I will ever do again, but it was worth it for this one thing.




    









No comments:

Post a Comment